National Supply Teacher Week 15th - 19th June 2015
Many thanks for visiting this page. I encourage you to help support and celebrate your supply teachers during this annual event.
Aims of the Week:
· To highlight the importance of supply teachers in a child’s education
· To increase respect for supply teachers
· To show appreciation for those working as supply teachers
· To help combat the recurring feeling amongst supply teachers of isolation
· To support supply teachers with their professional development
· To provide information for those considering supply teaching as a career move
· To increase awareness of the skills needed to be a supply teacher
· To help schools work with supply teachers more effectively
Keen to be involved? Here are a few ideas:
· Present your supply teachers with our Certificate of Appreciation;
· Write in appreciation of your supply teachers in a school newsletter;
· Invite the children to interview a supply teacher about their role in your school;
· Discuss respect for all visitors working in school during assembly;
· Invite your supply teachers to coffee and cake after school one day that week;
· Let your supply teachers know of any CPD courses they are entitled to attend;
· Consolidate the ‘supply teacher pack’ that your teachers leave for visiting supply teachers.
Please consider that the above provides excellent PR and learning opportunities for your school.
Many thanks for your time, and we look forward to working with you!
<Article in progress>
Supply Teacher Welcome Packs should / could contain:
Basic outline / timetable of the school day
What to do for lunch
Realistic lesson plans
Seating plan with photos (secondary)
Make sure that your planning is accessible. Unfortunately, it happens all to often that supply teachers arrive in good time at a school, to be told that the planning is on the server, and they have no password with which to access it. Print it out and stick it up at least a week in advance! You never know when you might be ill.
Make sure that someone in your school is the assigned meeter and greeter of supply teachers, and shows them the fire exits, toilets, staffroom, assembly / lunch hall, exits to playgrounds, Head's office, manager's office and point of contact. They should escort the teacher to the classroom and show them where to find the planning for the day. A brief outline of the day should be shared, including times of assemblies, break times and end of school. Let the teacher know if any extra staff will be in the classroom that day and how they will be / should be deployed.
Everybody loves a free download, and a great big pat on the back. Here's ours in support of National Supply Teacher Week:
Certificate of Appreciation
It's often hard at the end of the day to ensure that the supply teacher is thanked for stepping in at short notice. Thrill yours with this show of appreciation between 16th and 20th June.
The ultimate supply pack (coming soon!)
From nothing, to Post-It Notes, to fully guided tours and introductions, we've seen it all. Do you monitor what is left for your supply teachers? This pack has been created as a guide to help you create the ultimate supply pack for your school, including proforma feedback sheets.
Thank you for helping support supply teachers!