Whenever I start working as supply in a new school, I worry about the staffroom politics and simple things like where I should or shouldn’t sit. Any tips?
Staffrooms can be pretty daunting places. Here are a few suggestions to help you settle in:
· Try and find a friendly face to follow into the staffroom; they will unwittingly be your guide when it comes to taking a seat and ensure you’re not upsetting the status quo! If you don't manage to piggyback on someone else’s entrance, take an interest in the posters on the staffroom walls until the place has started to fill up.
· Take your own mug into school; this solves the issue of accidentally using someone else’s!
· Find out about the arrangements for tea, coffee and milk and offer to contribute
· Get to know who’s who in the staffroom and refrain from complaining about pupils – the last thing you want to do is moan about a child only to find their parent is also the member of staff you’ve chosen to share your thoughts with.
· Keep an eye on how long other members of staff stay in the staffroom and follow suit